The Missionary Sisters are a worldwide, mission-driven and faith-based congregation of Catholic women. The Institute was founded in 1880 by a passionate and bold woman – Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini – whose one desire was to communicate, demonstrate, and make known the love and mercy of God through tangible acts of love, mercy and justice.
Form its humble beginnings in Italy, the Institute now exists in 17 countries on six continents. In a dynamic effort to respond to the unmet needs of the many people excluded from basic human rights, the Missionary Sisters sponsor many endeavors, including: schools, hospitals and clinics, spirituality centers; low income housing for the elderly; and community-based immigrant and social services.
The Missionary Sisters’ vision for promoting a world where each person is treated with dignity and given the opportunity to develop to their fullest potential is creative, intelligent and bold. The Missionary Sisters have initiatives around the world, spanning the streets of the lower east side of Manhattan, the favelas of Brazil, the barrios of Argentina and Nicaragua, and the bush of Swaziland and Ethiopia.
Together with every employee, CEO, administrator, Lay Missionary and other partners in mission, the Cabrini Sisters strive to get close to the people, to respond to current issues, and to work for transformational change. The Missionary Sisters work for the common good in a spirit of collaboration and mutuality of leadership.
In a time of unprecedented mass migration and displacement of persons across the world, the Missionary Sisters are inspired by their Foundress Saint Frances Cabrini, who was proclaimed the Patroness of Immigrants in 1950. Throughout their many endeavors they focus especially on the needs of those who are forced to migrate due to poverty, climate change, lack of work or racial or religious persecution.
The Missionary Sisters – together with all those who share in the missionary activity – have one vision: to be and demonstrate love where love is missing and to be a sign of hope where hope is lacking.